September 14, 2010

Tuesday Coolsday - Wadia Newman


Every Most Tuesdays, I will feature a Louisville artist whose work I admire.

Wadia Newman - Architectural Artist

This weekend was the September Art Fair at theMellwood Art Center. It was my first time to this major creative mecca over in the Clifton area, which is surprising since (a) it's ridiculously close to me, and (b) they have a funky maze of studios, galleries, cafes, and boutiques that are open regardless of a special event. But it took an art fair to get me there for the first time.

Enough about me. This is about Miss Wadia Newman, a very talented draftswoman I happened upon at the fair. Wadia grew up in Louisville, studied architecture at Arizona State, and then worked as an architect in SoCal. Upon her return to Louisville (those who leave always come back!), she was thrilled to draw the ornate architectural details of historic landmarks all over the city. Her drawings are meticulous (in a good way) and truly highlight the beautiful intricacies of these fabulous structures. I have so many favorites of hers already, but only two fit in my little preview image, so I encourage you to get lost in her artwork.

I should also mention that she's as friendly as can be. But then again, who in Louisville isn't?

No comments: