March 26, 2011

Derby Etiquette Illustration for Louisville Magazine

derby etiquette illustration for louisville magazine

Louisville Magazine, contacted me to do an illustration for their Derby issue this year, and of COURSE I jumped at the opportunity! It's always such an exciting issue to be a part of. The article is about Derby Etiquette and discusses how NOT to be "that guy" when you are out at Churchill Downs.

Below are the thumbnails I sent the art director:

thumbnail drawings for derby illustration

She chose the bottom right option. Here's the final drawing before I took it to final:

final drawing of derby illustration

And since I know you love seeing some behind-the-scenes action, here's a few of the reference photos we took. Pardon the poor white balancing, these aren't usually for the public's eye, they are just for getting a hand shape correct or a shoulder in place.

Till next time! p.s. Go Knights!

Cat Scott
Louisville Graphic Designer and Illustrator
www.CatScott.com

7 comments:

AC said...

what a great set of drawings. i have so enjoyed looking at them!

Anonymous said...

What a great illustration! I'm not sure who's more "that guy," the drunk dude or the fella acting too cool to enjoy the race.

Cat Scott Larimore said...

Thanks, Emily! My favorite character is the drunk chick in the middle... there's always one of those no matter WHAT type of event you go to!

Ron Gallemore Ophthalmologist said...

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this web site.
Check here

Fashion design jobs said...

I hope you will spend much time commenting more to make us happier.Fashion design jobs

seoslinkva said...

youtube to mp3 online. Very fantastic post. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work

Teaching jobs in Northamptonshire said...

I am waiting for this information. Join now to share and to make our world more interesting. Teaching jobs in Northamptonshire